Orlando Litigation Attorneys
Labor and Employment
Labor and Employment Issues with Businesses
Federal law establishes minimum standards that employers need to comply with when dealing with their employees. State law complements federal law. Failure to meet these requirements can have serious consequences and lead to contentious litigation. Employment litigation is different from other types of commercial disputes because it can disrupt a company’s work environment and hurt its credibility.
Our team’s experience allows it to handle the full range of litigation issues, from routine charges of discrimination to highly complex class action lawsuits. Our employment and labor attorneys can defend you vigorously and, when appropriate, help you find solutions to issues in your workplace that may keep you out of court altogether.
We can assist you with the following:
- Civil rights- discrimination and/or retaliation based upon race, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital, familial status or sexual orientation (Title VII and the Florida Civil Rights Act)
- Florida Public Whistleblower Statute
- Florida Private Whistleblower Statute
- Federal Whistleblower Statute
- Equal Pay Act of 1963 (EPA)
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA)
- Older Workers Benefit Protection Act (OWBPA)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- First Amendment Rights (42 U.S.C. s. 1983)
- Unemployment Compensation
- Class action labor/employment disputes
- Minimum wage disputes (Fair Labor Standards Act)
- Severance Agreements
- Non-Compete Agreements
- Negotiation, enforcement or defense of non-compete agreements, severance agreements, and general employment agreements.
- Drug-Free Workplace disputes
- Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act (COBRA)
- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA, “the Stimulus Act”)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Worker Adjustment & Retraining Notification Act (WARN)
- Overtime disputes (Fair Labor Standards Act)
- Domestic Violence Leave Act
- Preservation and Protection of Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Motor Vehicle Act of 2008
- Worker’s compensation retaliation
- Defamation or slander by a supervisor
- Invasion of privacy by employer
- Negligent hiring or retention of employees
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA)
- Employment contract disputes
- Public employment contract disputes (Public Employee Relations Act)
- Uniformed Services Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA)
- OSHA retaliation claims
- Professional Certification disputes
- Teacher disciplinary cases
Employees and Executives
Our firm is dedicated to representing employees and other individuals (including executives, partners, professionals and talent) in all industries, across all professions, and at all employment levels. As advocates for workplace fairness, our passion and our profession is to help advance the goals of employees and protect their rights against injustices in the workplace.
Our attorneys advise and represent clients in matters involving former employers, current employers, and potential future employers and partnerships. We also represent groups of employees collectively, as well as executive teams in transition. Our international partnerships reach across borders to represent and protect multinational employees, executives, and partners.
The strength of our labor and employment practice is our ability to meet all of our clients’ needs — whether it is handling complex class or collective actions, serving as trial counsel in high-profile litigation, engaging in difficult union negotiations, or arguing appeals. Our attorneys defend clients in race, age, and gender discrimination cases, and offer advice and counseling on government compliance issues and personnel policies and procedures. Our labor and employment attorneys work cooperatively with colleagues in our Litigation and Business Groups to provide our clients with comprehensive assistance in every aspect of the employer-employee relationship.
We know that neither one size nor one approach will fit all circumstances. At CPLS, we focus on understanding our clients’ business models. We are committed to always work as members of a team with our clients — general counsels, human resources staff, and labor relations departments alike — to provide the most effective legal representation. We are your labor and employment counsel.
Schedule a Consultation with an Employment Attorney
Let us help you resolve your Legal matters.