- Juris Doctorate (JD/LL.B.) Queens University of Law (1999).
- B.A. (Honors) Queens University (1995).
- T.E.P (Trust and Estate Practitioner) Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
- Corporate Law.
- Commercial Law.
- Business Law.
- Canada Employment Law.
- Canada Wills and Estates.
- Canada Real Estate.
- International Trade.
- Mergers and Acquisitions.
- Business Consulting.
Jeffrey (J.P.) McAvoy is the founder and Managing Partner of Conduct Law and practices corporate and commercial law. He is also a business consultant with CPLS, P.A. He assists his clients with a wide range of Canadian business issues including incorporations, financings and acquisitions, re-organizations, and related corporate entity structuring matters. He acts for clients buying, selling, and starting up businesses. J.P. represents a diverse range of corporations in Canada, the United States, and Asia.
J.P. works with professionals and business owners to help them understand the impact of the law and how it can affect their business and personal needs. Working with his American colleagues, J.P. is able to assist clients establish and expand their foothold in the US market. J.P.
also assists American clients interested in expanding their footprint in the Canadian market and beyond.
J.P. also works with financial, insurance, and accounting advisers to provide tax, trust, and estate planning advice to entrepreneurial clients and professionals. He has simplified the legal process for his clients in complex cases when it comes to their legal needs and assisted in both professional and personal capacities. J.P. works with the client to develop strategies to reduce legal and tax costs, increase business efficiencies, and fulfill their personal and business goals.
Prior to commencing private practice, J.P. was a founding employee of Silicon Valley start-up Zip2, which was sold to Compaq and later merged with Alta Vista. During this time, J.P. helped grow the business which translated into the largest all cash transaction of its time. Since then he has worked with startups and established business from California to Toronto to Seoul.
In addition to practicing law, J.P. hosts the popular “The Millionaires Lawyer: From Startup to Payout” Podcast, is a contributing writer for the New Economy Watch and has taught a college course in Corporate Law. With speaking engagements and TV appearances in the United States, Canada and Asia, J.P. is recognized around the world as a thought leader and expert on how to build a business for long term profitability and success.
Over the previous five years, JP has led over sixty-five significant corporate and commercial transactions totaling more than $80 million including:
- Gazit America Inc. purchase of the 49,000 square-foot Nepean Medical Centre through its subsidiary, ProMed Properties Inc. in a transaction valued at $12.3 million.
- Multi-million-dollar share sale of Arnone Paving and Concrete Ltd. and A & A Cutting and Coring to a large construction company.
- Combusco Inc. sale of assets to Reliance Comfort Limited Partnership by its general partner GP Waterheater Trust.J.P.’s accomplishments earned him an Ottawa Business Journal Forty Under Award.